Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Beauty Tips Tuesday - Nix makeup meltdowns!

Undoubtedly, many of you have already gotten your Spring Cleaning projects well underway. Raking yards, cleaning garages, starting seeds, and preparing flower beds. And I am certain there are a few of you that have already completed the seasonal wardrobe swap of packing away the mittens and scarves and bringing out the umbrellas and rain boots. But have you cleaned out your cosmetics drawer? With the changing of the seasons, I swap out my colors like I do my clothing. I have quite the collection at this point and though most of my eye, face, and cheek colors are loose minerals (so they don't go bad), I do have to sort through my mascaras, lipsticks, and glosses. Here is a link to an article that lets you know when you should replace what.

After tossing out your old stuff you may find that you are in need of some replacements. With the warm weather months just ahead of us, it is a good time to pick up products that are hassle free and resistant to meltdowns. For those of you who find concealer isn't enough and are in need of a summer weight foundation, I highly recommend a tinted moisturizer like Korres Watermelon Lightweight Tinted Moisturizer $28 or Laura Mercier Oil free Tinted Moisturizer $42. Both provide a good amount of coverage and broad spectrum sun protection, (SPF 30 Korres/SPF 20 Mercier. Though Korres is less expensive, it is only offered in 3 shades (but has a higher SPF), where as Mercier comes in 7.


Another great option (and the one I personally use year round), is to go with a mineral foundation like bareMinerals SPF 15 foundation $25, from Bare Escentuals. It is lightweight, naturally water resistant, and provides a physical, non-chemical SPF 15 barrier. Offered in 15 colors, you shouldn't have a problem finding the perfect shade.
Another perk: Since it is basically made of rocks, and rocks don't have the ability to harbor bacteria, you don't have to worry about it going bad. Just make sure to shampoo your brushes regularly.


As I announced last night, I am guest blogging over at We Chirp this week (I'm so excited!), and you can check out today's post "5 Summer Musts to Avoid Make-up Meltdowns!" for more great warm weather recommendations!

3 comments:

Cathy from said...

Oh yes! ALL of my yard work and garage is all cleaned from the winter blahs......hmmm, maybe not:) Fun posting! And never thought about the rock and bacteria? Good readings!
Cathy
wire & wool

♥ Lindsay ♥ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
♥ Lindsay ♥ said...

You are so ahead of me Cathy! I did manage to deep clean the fridge (and boy did it need it), but I swear I don't know where my time goes ea day!