Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Time Wasters Wednesday - Let's Get Jammin!

I can still remember the delectably sweet taste of my Grandmother's strawberry freezer jam that I ate as a child. My Dad tells me that Grandma made it every year from the strawberries from her garden, and I remember her storing it in any random jar or container she could find that could hold its

d e l i c i o u s n e s s !

So in efforts to stick to my oath and only give gifts that are handmade, I decided to take a crack at making my own to give as Father's Day gifts. Though I opted for a cooked jam (I needed to practice canning in anticipation of this Summer's harvest!) , I must say that I am seriously pleased with myself. It was my first time making jam and I have never canned before, so it just adds to my delight that it turned out so well!

5 cups crushed fresh strawberries
(they say not to use a food processor as it can break down the natural pectin found in the berries and alter the set)
1/4 cup lemon juice
7 cups sugar (yes seven!)
1 box fruit pectin (I used Ball Natural Gel fruit pectin)

Combine crushed strawberries and lemon juice into a LARGE sauce pan and gradually stir in pectin.
(do not dbl recipe as the fruit will not be able to get up to the right temp)

Bring to a rolling boil that can not be stirred down, over high heat, stirring constantly.


G A S P! Add all that sugar! (Do not reduce or substitute with sweeteners as the sugar is needed to work properly.)

Stirring constantly, return to a rolling boil and let boil for one min.


Remove from heat and skim foam if necessary.
(They say you can add a 1/2 tsp of butter to prevent foam, but really... after all that sugar, who wants it to also contain FAT?)

Preserve in jars by following your canning unit's instructions. YUM!




1 comment:

Nicole said...

mmmmm Yum , a busy week and just catching up on my fun mail ~ this is a great blog for a variety of pretty things.